Sunday, January 5, 2014

SciFi Second Semester


2014 January Senior English Lesson
student comments:
My goal for second semester is to have better time management while writing essays

Develop my own ideas and opinions on the reading and be more open to sharing my ideas. I hope to also have developed a greater interest in reading, 

I will need to learn to turn out higher quality content more quickly. 

Increase my interest in reading. The more I practice this, the more I could improve my English and achieve the goals I set for myself 

I really look forward to collaborative discussions. I feel that a student led discussion will force me to get an even stronger grasp of the material. I also feel that I always use the same voice; I want to be able to shift between formal and informal writing at will.

For college, skim reding is an important skill that I need to be able to learn and use. At the moment, I tend to want to read every sentence 

As far as senioritis goes, I believe that will start kicking in after I get into a school that I am happy with.
New year, new directions in Senior English

Second semester in senior English, let’s set goals and design our curriculum together. Some guidelines and goals to consider:
·         More choice and structured independence
o   Students set own goals for 2nd semester & for next fall
·         Web 2.0—not only consume but produce web content
o   More free choice in blogging 

o   Daily writing, in class and out
o   Blogging about articles, issues, discussions
o   More commenting on blogs (even professional blogs)
o   Inquiry guided by innate curiosity & free choice
·         College Essays
o   3-5 page essays twice per quarter
o   Formulate own questions to explore
o   Develop student writing voice between formal and informal
·         More independent reading
o   Choose free reading books
o   Paper or on device
o   In-class Sustained Silent Reading twice a week
o   Book talks
o   Website
o   Launch Buckley school-wide free reading
·         What we read together
o   The Stranger (Camus)
o   Metamorphosis (Kafka)
o   SciFi  Dune and Fahrenheit 451
o   Books to Films
o   Blogs and articles shared by students
·         Q-TEA (daily)
o   Questions (student generated)
o   Thesis Claims
o   Evidence (text, visual, web)
o   Analysis
o   Art, Images, blogs, web, books, films
·         Student-Led Socratic Discussion
o   Students form questions
o   Leaderless collaborative discussion
o   Everyone participates
o   Instructor is hands-off
o   Outer circle records observations about group dynamics, interactions, and probing questions
o   Outer circle uses projected backchannel Chatzy.com or TodaysMeet.com
o   Blog afterwards about ideas or group dynamics
·         End of year activities
o   Learn to skim read to get through 200 pages/week assigned college reading
o   Reading Triage: Close read, Skim Read, Don’t Read
o   Explore college catalogue and present first two years classes with GE requirements
·         Discuss Senioritis

No comments:

Post a Comment